Tuesday, June 16, 2009

a nice moment at the park

Lately as the weather has warmed I've been walking to the park by the beach and sitting on a bench watching families picnic and people walk their dogs. It's never as warm as I think it will be so I can never stay as long as I want. As soon as the sun is blocked by the apartments and trees I feel the chill in the wind a little more. But what can you do, you don't want to overdress.
The other day I saw two guys sparring with the masks and gloves and everything. They stopped pretty soon after I sat down though. Most of the afternoon I was watching this dad play with/coach his two sons. They were playing baseball. I liked watching them, the dad was an almost perfect dad. He was strict and encouraging in all the right ways. I kind of knew (know?) that those two boys would become wonderful beautiful young men. I was eating a bag of 79cents Salt + Vinegar Kettle Cooked Potato Chips from 7/11. A squirrel, probably hearing the rustle of the plastic bag jumped onto the bench, very close to me, as close as a wary cat would get. I shooed him away but I immediately wished I'd given him some chips. An old lady clasping newspapers to her chest was walking down the path. She was talking to herself, muttering about someone named Jacobson, the variety of cereals, dentists. She stopped directly to the right of me where I couldn't see her and I knew she was looking at me. For a minute I was afraid she'd come up to me and I'd have to humor her, I hate humoring people. She didn't though and went on walking down the path. I rolled a cigarette and smoked it. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd thought. That's been happening a lot lately. I was kinda trying to write a short story. It was about this guy, Simon, who was sitting at a park bench, probably the same one I was sitting in. He meets his friend Amirah, who is an obese black lesbian, and he helps her look for her keys. I wasn't sure if Amirah was black, but she definitely was obese and lesbian. The only part I really had in my head was the ending. Simon sees something shiny in the grass, but I wasn't sure if it was the keys.

No comments: